Some Things That Running Has Taught Me

My running journey began in 2008 when a friend of mine introduced me to the ASHA Bangalore folks. I attended a meeting or two but never mustered the courage to run. Later that year, two crazy ultra marathoners Dr. Rajat Chauhan and Santhosh Padmanabhan started Runner's High. One thing led to another and I signed up for their 10K training program and the target race was Sunfeast World 10K. I had never run long distances before, but I was desperately looking for something challenging. I was 31 - growing older by the second - and this seemed like a good way to punish the old workhorse one last time before old age finally caught up.

I've been running for 2 years now and I've never felt fitter. If all goes well, I'll be running my first full marathon this year. For me, running is more than a fitness activity. So, instead of collating a list of health benefits, I've decided to publish a list of things that running has taught me. This is a random list that I plan to update later.

Time Doesn't Need to be Managed
People spend more time managing it than in getting anything done. When I run, I almost always know how long it's going to take me to finish. So I go about enjoying my run instead of fretting about minor delays. This attitude ALWAYS helps me run better. My best runs have been the ones where I've simply listened to my body and not my fancy Garmin 405.  Now, I might sound senile, but isn't it quality that finally counts? Planning every moment only robs the moment of it's charm. Enjoy the moment - don't "manage" it.

The Tortoise Always Wins
The hare lost because he didn't pace himself. To be efficient, you need to pace yourself. Human efficiency is never about (Input/Output)X100. That formula is for machines. The correct formula is really a function of Time Spent in the Zone. To maximise your efficiency, you need to spend more time in the zone, i.e., ease your body into a rhythm that your body is comfortable with and letting it stay there. My mentor (Ratnesh) has always maintained that running is like meditation and I couldn't have said it better.
Good runners always pace themselves. They are in no hurry to get anywhere. They know what their destination is and how much time it's going to take them to get there.

Running is the New Golf
With running becoming popular in India, running groups have sprung up all over the place and many of them are dominated by the corporate types. Running is a great way to meet people and exchange notes in an informal setting. Some of the popular running events, like Urban Stampede in Bangalore, are good examples of corporate India getting serious about running. However, the real wheeling-n-dealing happens in running groups during an easy run or after a good run over a hearty breakfast.

A True Family Sport
Running is one of the few sports that allows the entire family to train together. Some parents admit that run with their kids to know them better.

Something for Everyone
Running is a truly democratic sport. All you need is a will to get started - the running bug will take care of the rest. There is only one rule in running - that you at least jog a little. Some successful runners follow a walk-run routine even in competitive runs. So, when I hear runners exchanging statistics or strategizing their run, I laugh to myself. But then, that's what running is all about - different strokes for different folks. There's something in it for everybody. These slogans on the Team Asha shirt say it all.



Comments

  1. Nice one Matt. Would love to see an addendum to this. I had written on similar topic sometime back-
    http://anujmagazine.blogspot.com/2009/09/key-professional-lessons-from-long.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anuj, this is eerie! The thoughts are so similar. Loved your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like what you said about how time doesn't need to be managed. very fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts