Shooting the Milky Way

What got me started was an article in Outdoor Photographer. The pictures were brilliant and outlandish. After some basic research (it's so easy to find information these days), I learnt that shooting the Milky Way is all about:

  • Finding a clear sky with little or no light pollution
  • Camera, preferably an SLR, that can do long exposures
  • Good and stable tripod 

My first Capture of the Milky Way
My first few attempts were unsuccessful due to light pollution and fog. Light pollution is a serious problem in San Jose, so some of the best spots are quite far away from the city. I finally got lucky, very lucky, on a vacation in Paso Robles. We lived in an Airstream for 2 days and took lots of pictures. The best, however, was a chance to shoot the milky way and star trails.


























Milky Way over Point Sur
My next opportunity came on a trip to Big Sur. We stopped near Point Sur for our regular ritual of preparing chai in our truck bed and enjoying the sunset. The sky was so clear, I could actually see the Milky Way - to the naked eye, it looks like a faint cloud.
























Perfect pics of the Milky Way require a lot of hard work - especially post processing. I do plan to learn the art over time.

My Biggest Supporter - My Wife
My wife's been my biggest supporter, often driving hundreds of miles to get me to my destination. She plans our trips, scouts locations, and does all the driving.
Thanks Chanda!


Comments

Popular Posts