Why I Went Straight!

Ok, before you jump to conclusions, I'm referring to the change in my shaving routine - from safety to straight razors. That's right, I've gone (very) old school and I shave with a straight razor (sometimes a shavette) every morning. I "Crossfit" in the evenings and I used to wake up sore and grumpy every day. This hobby has transformed my my morning routine into a rejuvenating ritual.



It's almost a year now and here's why.

It's Calming

If you've ever had a wet shave at your local barbershop, you've probably luxuriated in the experience of warm towels and close shaves. Why not start your day with a luxurious wet shave every day? You deserve it! My morning shaves help me focus better at work and leave me feeling great about myself.



I Can Listen to the News

I use this time to listen to the news. Most of my colleagues do it during their daily commute, but I find that a bit distracting -  especially in Florida traffic. The soothing environment of my morning shave helps me absorb, process, and retain news better.


Makes Me Ambidextrous

That's right - straight razor shaving requires the use of both hands. It was hard at first - it's a miracle I didn't injure myself grievously - and took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable. In fact, I shave my chin and upper lip, the hardest areas, with my left hand.

I Pollute Less

That's right - a straight razor is for life. Straight razors are making a comeback and you can buy a vintage one on eBay. Good quality, new razors, usually start at $ 150 USD.
You just need to hone these blades and keep them clean. I also have a shavette that takes disposable blades, which can be recycled. I've hardly used disposable razors in 3 years.


It's Great For My Skin

Sounds sissy? Think again. Multi-blade razors damage skin by sloughing off layers of skin every day and cause ingrown hair and burns. Straight razors remove hair efficiently. Make sure to use a good quality shaving cream. I also prepare my own pre-shave oil.

Conclusion

A good soothing shave is a great way to start your day. In addition to being a good grooming routine, it is quality "me" time - better than a daily commute. Find time for a good morning shave. You will not regret it. 

Comments

  1. Interesting. I dont know about the straight razor, but I do know that the best is a wet shave after a bath. The best way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts